[F1 2019 VIDEO FEATURE] WILLIAMS: KUBICA UNDECIDED

Haas team principal Guenther Steiner hopes to hear within a week whether Robert Kubica accepts a development role with the US team.  

Kubica returned to F1 in 2019 some eight years after his life-threatening crash in the Ronde di Andora rally.

SOUNDBITE (English) ROBERT KUBICA                                                                                                                       WILLIAMS F1 DRIVER                                                                                                                                                           “For sure the last eight years has not been an easy period for myself. It's ended up being the best way possible, coming back to Formula 1. But it definitely took a lot of time, effort, energy, dedication.”

That effort has gone largely unrewarded. The lack of competitiveness of the Williams chassis means that Kubica and team mate George Russell have spent all season propping up the grid.

Russell outqualified Kubica at all 21 of the season’s races including the Abu Dhabi finale. Although Kubica scored the lone Williams point for 10th place in the German GP.

To the outside world, Kubica has been beaten by a novice. But the late Niki Lauda viewed Russell as a world champion in waiting.

Kubica draws positives from his comeback. There were a lot of questions over his atrophied right forearm and his physical limitations.

“I think those questions have completely disappeared,” He said.

With Nicholas Latifi replacing him in the 2020 Williams line-up, Kubica now needs to decide whether he wants to further his F1 days in a test and development role, or race in a lesser category, perhaps even combine the two.

Kubica has a strong reputation for his mechanical understanding and Haas has experienced problems getting the best out of Pirelli’s tyres in 2019. The Pole is also understood to have had talks about a development role with Racing Point.

Speaking of his team’s offer to Kubica, Steiner was hopeful.

“It’s a little on stand-by. I hope we get news next week. He needs to decide what he wants to do. We are patiently waiting. It’s a big decision and we respect that.”